[LLVMdev] Python version requirement for LLVM

Gregory Szorc gregory.szorc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 11:03:40 PDT 2014

On 6/26/14, 8:22 AM, Eli Bendersky wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Gregory Szorc <gregory.szorc at gmail.com
> <mailto:gregory.szorc at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     As much as I like killing support for Python 2.6 and below, RHEL is
>     usually the blocker. They still have 2.4 under support. Only the
>     RHEL that was released a few weeks ago finally has 2.7.
>

> Given the amount of complexity required to build LLVM & Clang (having
> the right compiler & libstdc++ installed), compared to the 3 minutes it
> typically takes to install any Python version on any Linux box, these
> limitations always strike me as silly. But I gave up on this fight some
> time ago.

I got slashdotted arguing the same [1][2] :) I really wish the Python
Project officially distributed a (statically linked) CPython
distribution suitable for userland install via merely unarchiving. That
would go a long way towards silencing the valid "I don't have
permissions" and "I can't compile it" complaints. Maybe I'll propose
that on python-dev right now...

[1]
http://developers.slashdot.org/story/14/01/09/1940232/why-do-projects-continue-to-support-old-python-releases
[2]