[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Cygwin bootstrap is incompatible with <mutex> (and most other threading C++11 libraries)

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Thu Jun 26 07:51:25 PDT 2014

Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> writes:

> Other users reported that mingw64 doesn't support <mutex> either.  IMO it's
> important to support the most popular distribution of GCC on Windows, which
> I believe is mingw64 these days.  I'm fine with dropping Cygwin
> self-hosting support if that's the only thing blocking us from using
> std::mutex, but I think mingw64 is the real blocker.

mingw-w64 comes on several combinations depending on exception handling
(sjlj/dwarf/etc), platform (32/64 bits) and thread support
(win32/posix). The threads-win32 variants lacks std::thread support but
the threads-posix variants uses the implementation provided by
libstdc++. So the reports you received about mingw-w64 not supporting
<mutex> most likely comes from people using the threads-win32 variants.