[LLVMdev] Phabricator and private reviews

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 11:25:11 PDT 2014

As Manuel has pointed out previously - Phabricator, just like email,
can be used to conduct off-list reviews for a number of valid reasons.
The existence of Phabricator reviews that don't have the mailing lists
attached isn't, in and of itself, a bug.

Are there particular review threads you've got in mind that appear
problematic? (where a Phabricator-driven, off-list review, was used as
sign-off/authoritative for the purposes of community interaction?).
I've seen one or two cases where people send reviews and forget to CC
the mailing list (this happens with or without Phab) - that case is
not some systematic problem, all it takes is an email response (from
someone who can see the review) suggesting that the mailing list be
added to the thread. There have also been some bugs - as we've
discussed previously, which are resolved fairly swiftly once the issue
is raised. The most recent of which lead to a few hours delay in mail
from Phab to the mailing list, but was in no way catastrophic to the
smooth running of things (and was a "this thing just broke - OK, we
now see it's broken and fix it" - disabling Phab wouldn't really help
us if we don't know that something's broken)

Essentially - if there are particular broken cases, let's look at
them. If they're easy to fix, we'll just fix them, as Manuel did for
the issue last week. If they're harder problems that may take weeks to
fix, then yes, it may make sense to disable or otherwise modify Phab
in the short term while the longer term issues are addressed.

So what are the threads/issues you're seeing currently?

- David