[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Cygwin bootstrap is incompatible with <mutex> (and most other threading C++11 libraries)

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 04:51:13 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM, "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom at pathscale.com>
wrote:

> On 06/25/14 06:14 PM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
>

>> I see three options:
>> 1) Give up on cygwin bootstrapping (I don't really like this, and I
>> suspect there are users of it)
>>
> peanut gallery vote, but I'd go option 1 or possibly option 2. If you
> compared the time/value of effort for improving something cygwin specific
> vs say native compatibility.. Is cygwin really that important of an
> investment?

If it were just me, I would agree. I think the native windows work is far
more important.

But I'm trying to respect the fact that there may well be a large set of
existing users of cygwin.

To my mind, the real question is: do they really need to bootstrap? I don't
know the answer, because I'm not one of the users.

(I also don't really know how long it would take, I don't even know how it
works and have only found random documents psuedo describing it...)