[LLVMdev] Issues with clang-llvm debug info validity

Adrian Prantl aprantl at apple.com
Tue Jun 24 16:39:25 PDT 2014

> On Jun 24, 2014, at 4:34 PM, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Without needing to change how namespaces are handled.
>>>
>>> Yes, using DIRefs for namespaces would cause the actual type nodes to
>>> be deduplicated when they aren't even with the patch above, and that
>>> would help reduce debug info metadata further if that's
>>> useful/necessary.
>>
>> Exactly. While the above patch will cover up the problem, we will still have many duplicate type entries during LTO that will take up memory, even though only the last one to be entered into DIRefMap will actually be used for emitting DWARF. Since DIRefs are also more expensive in terms of lookup speed, I think I’d prefer to only use them only where necessary (=as far down the MDNode DAG as possible).
>>

> Right, though, to be fair, some numbers here might be nice. The
> tradeoff of "extra lookup for ref" versus "extra memory allocation for
> larger debug info”.

Then again, it’s not like the extra lookups introduced by David’s proposed patch would get rid of those extra memory allocations. Granted, they do get rid of the assertion, which obviously provides some value ;-)

> I also don't think it'll matter for speed :)

You’re probably right about the lookup, but depending on the project you’re building the memory usage could matter.

-- adrian