[LLVMdev] Is there any tool can generate MIPS ELF file?

Eric Christopher echristo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 07:21:09 PDT 2014

> So in summary, each step is ABI compatible with the previous step. The linker will ensure that the end-user doesn't try to do the second step before the first step is finished since it will refuse to link a binary that contains both O32 and O32+fp64. It will produce an O32 binary given a combination of O32+fpxx, and similarly a O32+fp64 binary given a combination O32+fpxx and O32+fp64.

Interesting. I'd seen some of the discussion, but not read it in any detail.

>> Curious why an extension to o32 for this and not, for example, just using n32?
>
> N32 is an ABI that requires 64-bit general purpose registers so it's not supportable on a 32-bit ISA. More importantly, it would be difficult (if not impossible) to arrange that downstream source bases transition all their code to a new ABI at once. The seamless migration from O32 to O32+fpxx allows source bases to transition piece by piece and therefore allows us to drive the migration using the compiler and the natural tendency for living code to be recompiled at some point. Without this, it's doubtful that downstream sources would make the transition at all as evidenced by previous unsuccessful attempts at updating the ABI. Another important reason is some projects (e.g. Android) need to be able to execute the previously compiled apps from earlier toolchains without modification.

That's fair. I did know the 64-bit register requirement, but had
assumed that with 64-bit floating point that the integer registers
were also 64-bit since other than a couple of processors that's been a
fairly constant thing for MIPS (r5900 as a weird, and notable
exception). If that's not the case, then sure o32 makes sense.

-eric