[LLVMdev] Proposal: Improved regression test support for RuntimeDyld/MCJIT.

Lang Hames lhames at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 20:54:03 PDT 2014

Hi Dave,

Jim Grosbach asked the same question, so you're in good company. With hindsight I think it was a mistake to say "FileCheck workflow". What I really meant was that this system plays well with lit. Not that your question about using FileCheck would have been any less valid.

I did consider using FileCheck for this, but decided it was the wrong approach. The fundamental reason is that there's no demand for textually rendering RuntimeDyld's memory, and developing a textual renderer so that we could output text just to pattern match and re-assemble ints in FileCheck would be a lot of pain for (as far as I can see) no gain.

If there's a desire for FileCheck to support expression evaluation we could flesh out this evaluator and make it available as a support library that both FileCheck and RuntimeDyld could use.

You (and independently Nick Kledzik) do raise the really useful idea of leveraging the disassembler though. I like the idea of adding some special syntax to disassemble an instruction at a label and use one of its immediates. That would eliminate a lot of the bit bashing that would have been required on instruction sets with tricky immediate encodings (E.g. ARM). Something like:

# rtdyld-check: @test_inst[0] = foo - (test_inst + 5)
test_inst:
  callq foo

Cheers,