[LLVMdev] triples for baremetal

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Jun 18 06:57:57 PDT 2014

On 17 June 2014 18:26, Tom Stellard <tom at stellard.net> wrote:
> What does 'bare-metal' mean in the context of a triple?

My confusion here is that bare-metal == NO OS, rather than Unknown OS.

The former is an explicit statement, saying you don't (generally) have
shared libraries, systemcalls, etc. The latter can (but not
necessarily does) depend on the platform, since the "default"
behaviour could be to assume OS=Linux or whatever.

I don't think there's a use case today where that fails, but I never
liked the extensive use people make of the "default" behaviour. On
ARM, we tend to add "none" as in arm-none-eabi to enforce bare-metal
and strict EABI compatibility.

cheers,
--renato