[LLVMdev] Aliasing caused by MemCpyOptimizer (PR18304)

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Tue Jun 17 23:57:36 PDT 2014

David Wiberg wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> PR18304 show an example where MemCpyOptimizer can cause pointers to
> alias. Adding a requirement that the called function does not capture
> the source pointer fixes the issue but it will also decrease the
> number of opportunities for the transform.
>
> Does this seem like the correct direction for a fix?
> Will it be too restrictive?

It's the correct direction, and also correctness trumps optimization
power so it doesn't matter whether it's too restrictive.

The only way we can fold away the memcpy is if both sides promise to not
write to it before the other, and if both sides won't look at the
pointer address itself. You can use "nocapture" to mean the latter. We
can use "readonly" and "readnone" attributes for the former, but I don't
think memcpyopt currently makes use of them when they appear on the
function.

For instance, assuming %p1 points to a copy of what %p2 points to:

call @foo(i8* readonly %p1)  ;; may capture %p1 but won't write to it.
call @bar(i8* nocapture %p2) ;; may modify %p2 but won't compare its
address with anything, not even a copy captured by @foo

We can still merge %p1 and %p2 if these are the only uses.

Nick