[LLVMdev] Code generation support in llvm for windows phone

Saleem Abdulrasool compnerd at compnerd.org
Sat Jun 7 14:23:29 PDT 2014

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM, C K Kashyap <ckkashyap at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Saleem,
> I have a similar situation - I'd appreciate your inputs on it. I noticed
> that the obj file generated using llvm does not contain "thumb"
> instructions. I suspect that is what is causing runtime crash for me.
>

> Here's what I've tried -
> Start with a.c (on my linux machine where I have llvm/clang built as of
> yesterday)
>                       int add(int i, int j) {int k = i + j; return k; }
> clang  -S  -O0  a.c

This targets the default target, which may not necessarily be the target
that you want.

> llc -filetype=obj -mtriple=thumbv7-windows -O0 a.ll

This is a bit round-about to generate the object-file.

You can actually generate the object file directly from clang at this
point, which may not have been the case when you first started looking at
this.

$ clang -target armv7-windows -c a.c -o a.obj

If you look at the generated assembly, you will find that it will generate
a thumb function, even though the object file may be missing the
appropriate flag in the case of the public llvm repository (Ill look into
that btw).

I get a.obj from the above steps.

> I take this a.obj over to my windows 8.1 machine where I have VS2013
> update 2 installed
>
> I open up a command window and run
> C:\Users\kck\arm>"c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 12.0\vc\bin\x86_arm\vcvarsx86_arm.bat"
>
> I create a file file m.c
> int main() { return add(20,30);}

This might cause an issue.  You are not providing a declaration for the
symbol.  If cl ends up converting it to a dllimport'ed symbol, the
generated application will not execute.

> I build the whole thing like this -
>
> cl m.c a.obj

That seems right; I will note that all my testing with cl has been with /MD.

> Things seem  to work fine and m.exe gets generated.
>
> However I noticed a difference in the dumpbin output for a.obj and m.obj -
> In m.obj, I can see "Thumb instructions" where as in a.obj, I don't see
> that.

I'll look into that, but, I suspect that this is not the cause of the crash.

> I'd appreciate any pointers on this.

Can you specify what the target environment is?  (Device, Windows version,
etc).

Actual details of the crash may also be relevant.  Also of interest would
be how you are loading the generated binary onto the device.  The only way
that I know of accomplishing that involves the use of Visual Studio's
remote debugging functionality.

Saleem Abdulrasool
compnerd (at) compnerd (dot) org