[LLVMdev] Stack maps no longer experimental in 3.5

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Fri Jun 6 11:29:17 PDT 2014

On Jun 6, 2014, at 11:10 AM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It is my understanding that now WebKit depends on the stack map functionality in production. Also, on the mailing lists we've seen lots of users using in this feature. Can we eliminate the experimental status for 3.5?

Correct. It is in production software and has multiple clients.

However, it may be worth doing another round of RFC before we pin down the intrinsic. There is an extension I would like to make, and I want to make sure we have covered the use cases of other clients that are just considering using the intrinsic but haven’t finalized their designs.

I planned to send another proposal next week. Based on that discussion we can determine whether to extend the existing intrinsics or add new intrinsics for new features.

> Off the top of my head, the changes needed are:
>
> - A read-through of StackMaps.rst to remove any mention of it being experimental.
> - Removing mention of it being experimental from http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#stack-map-intrinsics
> - Removing the `.experimental` from the name.
>
> Anything else?

Sounds good.

> (also, we'll have to put some stuff in http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseNotes.html)

Right. I’m not in any particular hurry to make 3.5. Let’s see how the discussion goes next week.

-Andy