[LLVMdev] Inline assembly in LLVM backend

Vishwa Prakash A vishwacs111 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 01:07:38 PDT 2014

Hi all,
I need to support basic and extended inline assembly for a VLIW
architecture. It can have upto 3 instruction issues and hence I have a VLIW
scheduler. If I handle this traditionally in AsmPrinter, then the inline
assembly programmer has to provide scheduled instructions. However, I
cannot put the burden of scheduling on inline assembly programmer. So I
intend to process the unscheduled inline assembly statements before the
scheduler and after the register allocator. Is this a good design to follow?
I'm allowing branch instructions which means I need to modify CFG. I intend
to create new machine basic blocks and add the corresponding successors.
However I won't be updating the use-def chain or the live variable
information. Will this affect the analysis such as AliasAnalysis and
MachineDominatorTree construction?

Regards,
Vishwa Prakash A