[LLVMdev] PassRegistry thread safety and ManagedStatic interaction

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 10:28:09 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:
> I accidentally a word.   I meant to say the goal would be to enforce
> once-only *initialization* inside of ManagedStatic.
>

> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:
>>
>> The mutex could be made an actual global static instead of a
>> ManagedStatic.  This guarantees it would be constructed before main, and
>> live until the end of main.

Except being live before main is insufficient. Passes are registered
from other global initializers. There's no ordering guarantee between
global initializers, so it's possible that pass registrations may
occur before the global mutex is initialized... (at least I think
that's an issue?)

>> So even in PassRegistry's destructor, which
>> would get call during llvm_shutdown(), it would always have the same mutex.
>> Ideally I'd like to just delete the mutex, as it doesn't seem like anyone is
>> using it in a multi-threaded fashion, but I could be wrong about that, so
>> I'll wait for more information.
>>
>> Eventually the goal would be to actually enforce once-only inside of
>> ManagedStatic (I found this bug actually by changing ManagedStatic to sue
>> std::call_once), so we could prevent problems like this from ever happening
>> in the future.

Agreed. I've seen other nasty bugs with insufficiently constrained
singletons that allow reconstruction in some cases... I'd love to have
ManagedStatic be more restrictive about how it can be used.

One other wrinkle is that, at least in theory, LLVM can be used after
llvm_shutdown (llvm_shutdown just brings everything back to the
startup state... so then it can all run again)... so that constraint
can't be added to ManagedStatic. They're meant to reinitialize on
first use after llvm_shutdown :/