[LLVMdev] Adding a stack probe function attribute

Thu Jul 31 19:27:16 PDT 2014

The point of this is to cheaply detect all stack overflows using a guard
page. For a guard page to actually detect all stack overflows, we need to
ensure that the code touches each page of the stack in the right order,
otherwise it could skip the guard page and write outside the stack. That is
very bad for languages such as Rust which provides memory safety, so it
currently does an explicit comparison against the end of the stack for each
function, which is again bad for performance. This would correspond to
GCC's -fstack-check (if that worked).