[LLVMdev] [PowerPC] ABI questions

Ulrich Weigand Ulrich.Weigand at de.ibm.com
Thu Jul 31 07:32:58 PDT 2014

David Wiberg <dwiberg at gmail.com> wrote on 30.07.2014 22:06:13:

> But it describes both 64-bit and 32-bit linkage areas. Doesn't that
> imply that it isn't ELFv1?
> Just to be clear the document I'm talking about is:
> http://llvm.org/docs/CodeGenerator.html#llvm-powerpc-abi

Ah, I must admit I never noticed that part of the docs before.  I don't
know what that refers to, and it doesn't seem to correspond with what
LLVM actually implements on any platform ...

In general, I don't think it even makes sense to talk in terms of a
"LLVM PowerPC ABI" as that document does -- LLVM doesn't stand on its
own, it must be compatible to the *system* ABI for any of the systems
it supports.

So it would certainly be better to look at the actual system ABI
documents.  If LLVM's behavior differs, that's a bug that should
be fixed.

Bye,
Ulrich