[LLVMdev] Controlling order of instructions

Sergey Dmitrouk sdmitrouk at accesssoftek.com
Fri Jul 25 09:16:45 PDT 2014

Hi again,

Still seeking a way to force particular order of instructions which would
dominate machine instruction scheduling.  IR ordering is quite close and it
actually helps in ensuring correct ordering of instructions, but it's either
not enough to turn off scheduling or I'm using it wrong (comments in code
and commits that introduced it is pretty much all documentation I've found
on this subject).

I still have basically the same questions, but I'll try to rephrase them
hoping that it'll make them clearer:

 1. Is it OK to block generic load&store sequence generator by setting
    limits for memcpy() generation to very low values?  This will force
    calling of architecture-specific callback for inlining memcpy().

 2. Would it be better to provide a flag in TargetSelectionDAGInfo to
    alter behaviour of generic load&store function or maybe use existing
    flags that say whether platform supports paired loads&stores?

 3. Is there a way to ignore latencies for particular instructions?  They
    can cause undesired reordering even for instructions for which IR
    order is set explicitly.

Are there any documentation on using IROrder?  Should it even guarantee
strict order at all?  I'm asking because effect of assigning order can
produce quite surprising sequences, e.g.: 100->101->1->102->103.

Also found ScheduleDAGSDNodes::AddGlue(...), can it be useful in my case?

Could somebody with experience in this part of LLVM say whether I'm
digging in right direction or it's all wrong?

Thanks,
Sergey