[LLVMdev] extract a specific element from a vector in LLVM IR

Vasileios Koutsoumpos bill_koutsoumpos at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 21 07:56:07 PDT 2014

Hello everybody,

I am creating a vector in llvm IR and I am able to insert and extract
elements.
However, I want to take a specific index from the vector but I am not
able to do that. I found in the doxygen the getIndexOperand(), but I
have an error during the compilation.
The code I use is the following:

Instruction *extract = ExtractElementInst::Create(emptyVec, ch, "extract");
b->getInstList().insertAfter(Insert3, extract);

Value *index_val = extract->getIndexOperand();

The error I get is:
error: ‘class llvm::Instruction’ has no member named ‘getIndexOperand’
Value *index_val = extract->getIndexOperand();

I see that I cannot use the getIndexOperand() in an Instruction Type,
but only through an ExtractElementInst Type.

Do you have any suggestions to get the elements?

Best Regards,
Vasilis