[LLVMdev] RFC: Legalizing operations and post-legalization DAG combining

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 00:05:11 PDT 2014

Today, legalization and DAG combining happen in phases. You can have a DAG
combine that runs before legalization phases or after. And *operation*
legalization happens once, after which the core logic of operation
legalization is never run over DAG nodes again.

As a consequence, if you write a DAG combine for target specific nodes that
are *produced* by legalizing some target independent node (most often with
a custom operation action), you cannot produce from your DAG combine any
node which is not marked with a 'legal' operation action. This is
particularly problematic for things that are 'custom', but will be lowered
*without issue*. This is incredibly common. For example, constant pool
loads on x86. Without being able to produce any of these generic nodes, a
post-legalization DAG combine cannot produce very many interesting nodes at
all. And we can't run some of these earlier because they are combining the
results of the legalizer itself.

This actually makes a lot of sense. Why not run the legalizer as a part of
a "legalizing" DAG combine phase? The simplest form of this can be found
here: http://reviews.llvm.org/D4564 (and its attendant review thread on the
mailing list). While this works, it isn't really ideal. We're just
re-legalizing any nodes that need it when they come out of a
post-legalization combine. Woe betide the combine that creates a cycle
here, but that seems like a bad idea anyways and unlikely to happen.

The obvious "next step" is to just stop running the legalizer outside of
this mode. This, however, doesn't seem to work at all. The reasons
overwhelming center around how we update the worklist for the DAG combiner.

The current strategy is to use a DAGUpdateListener to remove deleted nodes
from the worklist, and to add nodes based on the results of the combine or
the use of the DAGCombineInfo wrapper method to directly add nodes to the
worklist. The latter is extremely error prone and I have spent quite some
time already debugging DAG combines because this didn't happen
"automatically".

So question #1: Is this the right direction? Are folks generally OK with me
moving legalization into something that happens interleaved with combining?
It would still be "phase" oriented so that the combines know what
invariants must actually be preserved (for example, we simple *can't*
create illegal types while combining during the legalization phase).
Similarly, there are likely cases where it would be useful to check the
phase to avoid cycles or warring combines and legalizations.

Question #2: is there some reason to not make a DAGUpdateListener call for
each new node inserted into the DAG, and add them to the worklist
automatically? This could likely remove a bunch of existing code to
manually add things, and it would allow new nodes added during legalization
to go onto the worklist as well. In general, I'm wondering if there is any
reason not to leverage the DAG update listener more heavily in the
combiner. We're already paying the price of keeping one in the stack, etc.,
so it seems like it wouldn't be too much worse to leverage it to catch the
nodes which need to be re-combined.

-Chandler