[LLVMdev] RFC - A tool to convert profiles from external profilers

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Wed Jul 16 14:24:53 PDT 2014

On 07/16/2014 11:20 AM, Diego Novillo wrote:

> A few weeks ago, I announced the availability of a conversion tool
> that converts Linux Perf sample profiles to LLVM's sample profiler
> (https://github.com/google/autofdo).
This seems like a potentially useful tool.  I support having this in tree.
> I would like to support more than Linux Perf, eventually. So, I'm
> thinking that I want to move the LLVM profile writer to
> llvm/lib/ProfileData and only have the various readers under
> llvm/tools/llvm-prof-converter.
Given we now have multiple proposed users, having these libraries in
some shared location seems reasonable.  I would want both the readers &
writers in the same location.

Glancing at the current code in ProfileData, I do not see any uses in
LLVM itself.  There is one checked-in use in the tools directory.   I'm
hesitant about putting support code for tools which is not otherwise
used in the main llvm source tree.  Is there a better place we could put
this?  (Or am I simply being too conservative?)

We do need to make a clear distinction between externally defined
formats (with test cases! and spec references!) and internally defined
formats which can be changed.

Philip