[LLVMdev] Physical register reuse during register allocation

shruti padmanabha shrupad at umich.edu
Wed Jul 16 07:54:44 PDT 2014

Hi,

When the backend selects a physical register to assign to every virtual
register, it must pick a physical register from some data structure of free
registers. I'm assuming this choosing is done so as to reuse physical
registers as soon as possible.
I'm working with an architecture model that could benefit from reusing
physical registers as late as possible. So, instead of a LIFO kind of data
structure for keeping free physical registers, I need a FIFO queue.
Can you point me to the code where I can access this data structure and
modify it accordingly? Basically, when does the backend pick a specific
physical register as an instruction's destination.

Thanks in advance,