[LLVMdev] LLVM commit 410f38e01597120b41e406ec1cea69127463f9e5

deadal nix deadalnix at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 14:03:33 PDT 2014

>  On 07/07/2014 09:47 PM, deadal nix wrote:
>
>  OK from what I understand, the DAG.getSExtOrTrunc(SetCC, DL, SelectVT)
> is unecessary and the SelectVT is nto the right type (as it is called with
> incorrect parameter).
>
>  Here is a patch so it won't generate a loop. I ran make check and it
> doesn't look like anything is broken.
>
> No, it is necessary and is the fundamental change in that commit. SelectVT
> is not necessarily the same as VT, so it needs to be converted. This patch
> breaks the testcases I have that this fixed. If it helps, this is the
> testcase I was fixing.
>
> define i32 @test_sext_icmp_i64(i64 %arg) {
>   %x = icmp eq i64 %arg, 0
>   %y = sext i1 %x to i32
>   ret i32 %y
> }

So this is not possible ?
(select (i64 setcc ...), (i32 -1), (i32 0))

>  The setcc type is i64 for the i64 icmp, so it then needs to be truncated
> to 32-bits in this situation

I understand this? Why does the setcc needs to be truncated ? It doesn't
look like it usually is.

I have a test case which is exactly the other way around :
define i32 @test_sext_icmp_i32(i32 %arg) {
  %x = icmp eq i32 %arg, 0
  %y = sext i1 %x to i64
  ret i64 %y
}

The DAG.getSExtOrTrunc(SetCC, DL, SelectVT) is returning the node
DAGCombiner is working on, which create a loop after the substitution. If I
have X = (i64 (sext (i32 (setcc A B)))) to be "combined" as (select X, -1,
0) and then, after substitution occurs, the select become its own
condition, creating a loop in the DAG.