[LLVMdev] Usability of phabricator review threads for non-phab-users

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Thu Jul 3 23:00:17 PDT 2014

Manuel Klimek wrote:
> Alp noted that the current setup on how phab reviews land on the list
> are not working for him. I'd be curious whether his setup is special, or
> whether there are more widespread problems. If this is more widely
> perceived as a problem, please speak up, and I'll make sure to
> prioritize the fixes (note that this is unrelated to the "lost email"
> problem - those are always highest priority and as far as I'm aware we
> diagnosed and fixed all of them within 1-2 business days).
>
> If you have the feeling that the phab email workflow makes it hard for
> you to jump into reviews, keep track of reviews, or understand reviews
> if you're not a phab user, please reply to this thread. You don't need
> to provide details, "+1", "please fix", or "doesn't work well for me"
> are all acceptable replies here - I want to get a feeling for the
> magnitude of the problem.

I really don't like using phab. I don't like the lack attached patch
files on the mailing list to do a normal review. I don't like going to
the phab site and trying to add comments and it won't let me ... but
only sometimes, and for no reason I can see. I hate the patch view in
phab, the side-by-side view doesn't fit 80 chars of text in my browser
for either side leading to wrapping.

The emails with comments that other people have made are nice.

I did recently discover that it has a dashboard of reviews addressed to
me. If that's accurate, that may change my workflow going forward. Today
I still rely on people to ping their patches.

Nick