[LLVMdev] Usability of phabricator review threads for non-phab-users

Alp Toker alp at nuanti.com
Tue Jul 1 13:12:43 PDT 2014

On 01/07/2014 22:53, David Blaikie wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Manuel Klimek <klimek at google.com> wrote:

>>> To back this up, I get about a dozen mails a month saying "I can't find
>>> you on Phabricator", to which I usually reply "Just enter my committer name
>>> / email address".
>>>
>>>   AFAICT people rarely do that, or the site blocks the email address and
>>> tries to make me create an account which I'm not planning to do at present.
>>>
>>> The net result is that other people else ends up CC'ed because they do
>>> have an account on the website, and they attempt to review the code even
>>> though someone else requested the changes. At that point it becomes a matter
>>> of dealing with the fallout and things get pointlessly awkward :-/
>>
>> Btw, I'm specifically looking for others who have similar problems to Alp
>> here - pretty much all other things mentioned are on my radar.
> For the specific issue of threading, I don't find it problematic due
> to my workflow:
>
> All emails to the MLs get filtered to appropriate labels (GMail), any
> thread with an email addressed to me is starred. So if someone replies
> to a thread, but doesn't reply to me, that not a distinction my email
> rules draw - it's just a thread I'm interested in, regardless.
>
> But I totally understand that other people have other workflows that
> may be more centered around replies to /them/ personally - useful when
> you don't have time to read the full fire hose worth of LLVM mailing
> lists.

Yes, the reply-based workflow is the only one I've found to be workable
when contributing across a lot of different projects and mailing lists.

The problems boil down to, and I guess could be resolved by implementing
the two following recommendations:

a) List all known committer email addresses in the Phabricator CC box,
not just website members.

A very naive Phabricator implementation might be:

1) Put this in a cron job:
   `git log --pretty=format:"%an <%ae>" | sort -u` > committers.txt

2) Load it from PHP:
   $llvm_committers = file("committers.txt", FILE_IGNORE_NEW_LINES);

3) Populate the CC list box when outputting the page from the
$llvm_committers array.

I know it's never that simple, but I'd imagine it's not *a lot* more
work than that?

b) Automatically add email correspondents to the CC list of a
Phabricator thread if they reply. Optionally validate the address
against the verified committers.txt in (a).

I suspect that'd go a long way to resolving workflow problems for
non-members of the website.

Alp.

> Even then, I think the right workflow is usually to update the Phab
> review, then reply to the person describing the changes. It's still
> not perfect - your reply to them won't have the updated patch, it'll
> be in a separate email to the list, but I usually assume that's "close
> enough". But simply updating and saying "addressed the things in that
> other email that was sent" is a bit too disconnected - it's valuable
> to have the direct reply to the original feedback as well.
>
> - David
>

>>> Alp.

>>> --
>>> http://www.nuanti.com