[LLVMdev] where to start?

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Fri Jan 31 10:40:21 PST 2014

----- Original Message -----

My personal recommendation for getting started is this: find some applications or benchmarks that you feel like playing with: compile them with various compilers and fine some on which Clang/LLVM performs poorly; then figure out why. File bug reports and then start figuring out what parts of the compiler may need improvement. Running clang with -mllvm -print-after-all is often enlightning.

One area in which we really need some work is quantifying how various optimizations affect the performance of multithreaded applications. There was some discussion of this issue here (http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2013-November/067998.html), as an example, but we really need a lot more effort in this area.

 -Hal

> Regards,
> Baosan

Hal Finkel