[LLVMdev] make DataLayout a mandatory part of Module

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Thu Jan 30 10:08:35 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 2:10 AM, David Chisnall <David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
> wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2014, at 00:04, Nick Lewycky <nlewycky at google.com> wrote:
>
> > This is also what many clang tests do, where TUs get parsed using the
> host triple. If we keep target datalayout out of the test files and fill it
> in with the host's information, then our test coverage expands as our
> buildbot diversity grows, which is a neat property.
>
> Unfortunately, reproducibility suffers.  You commit a change, a test fails
> on two buildbots but passes on all of the others and on your local system.
>  Now what do you do?  I've already hit this problem in clang, with
> host-defined tool search paths leaking into the tests and causing them to
> fail on Windows only.  It's hard to fix a bug that causes a buildbot
> failure if you can't reproduce it.  At the very least, the target / data
> layout should be in the failure message that the test suite generates in
> case of failure so that you can reproduce it locally if a buildbot reports
> failure.

I don't think this will be a problem for opt or other LLVM tools.  If opt
has a dependence on the host's default triple and datalayout, reproducing
the failure should be a simple matter of running the test locally with a
manually specified triple.  It doesn't have implicit header search paths or
other weird host dependencies.