[LLVMdev] MergeFunctions: reduce complexity to O(log(N))

Tobias von Koch tobias.von.koch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 08:53:27 PST 2014

Hi Stepan,

As you've seen we have recently implemented a significant enhancement to
the MergeFunctions pass that also allows merging of functions that are
only similar but not identical
(http://llvm-reviews.chandlerc.com/D2591).

Our patch also changes the way that functions are compared quite
significantly. This is necessary because we need to compare all
functions in a bucket in order to get a similarity measure for each
pair, so we can then decide which 'groups' of functions to merge.

I can't really see a way to combine our approach with your patch. What
are your thoughts?

Another way to improve the performance of MergeFunctions might be to
make the hash function better. I've already added the size of the first
BB to it, and perhaps there are other factors we could try... if we
don't have to compare functions in the first place (because they're in
different buckets) then that's obviously a much bigger win.

Thanks,
Tobias