[LLVMdev] Random question about the x86 backend (and backends in general I suppose)

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Tue Jan 7 11:25:58 PST 2014

----- Original Message -----

I'd like to second this. The problem with the current inference scheme is that it is not consistent: instructions sometimes get inferred flags, depending on how their patterns are specified, and sometimes don't. Furthermore, auditing those inferred flags is not easy, and because this is a correctness issue, they do need to be checked.

My preference would be for TableGen to warn if a flag that is implied by a pattern is missing from the instruction, and nothing more than that.

 -Hal