[LLVMdev] buildbot failure in LLVM on clang-native-arm-cortex-a9

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Sat Jan 4 11:21:12 PST 2014

On 4 January 2014 18:57, Alp Toker <alp at nuanti.com> wrote:

> Would it be possible to skip sending mail on hardware/OS/out-of-disk
> messages?
>
> I imagine this is just a matter of checking the process exit code from the
> build system: 0 for success, 1 for build failure that sends notifications,
> everything else is an admin problem.

No, exit codes don't tell the whole story. One would have to grep for
specific messages like "disk full" or "not reproducible".

If the script in use has no code owner, I'll appreciate a pointer to what's
> sending the mails and I'll see if someone can look into it and submit a
> patch.

I have no idea where is this code, or who is responsible.

We should be more proactive and disable noisy build servers until a
> technical solution is available rather than the other way round, given how
> they drown out real problems.

It's not that simple. The ARM boards we have been using are all development
boards, built with the quality you'd expect from evaluation hardware. The
only production hardware you can find with an ARM chip inside are mobile
phones, tablets and the Samsung Chromebook (which we use at Linaro), but
they are not fit for being servers by a long shot. The only server-grade
ARM hardware, Calxeda, went bankrupt last month. :(

Unfortunately, those bots are our only solution for now, and we'll have to
keep them running the best we can. We must fix the problem (grep on errors,
and all the other things we discussed last week), not turn off the only
buildbots we have.

cheers,
--renato