[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Adding __INTEGRATED_ASSEMLER__ macro

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue Feb 25 05:22:56 PST 2014

On 25 February 2014 12:33, Rafael EspĂ­ndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:
> While exposing this would be conceptually OK, how would we implement
> it? Take pre_ual_syntax for example. With "-c -integrated-as" we know
> the answer is currently no since we don't implement it. But what about
> "-no-integrated-as -S"? We have no idea where that assembly is going.
> It might be sent to gas (has it) or back to us (doesn't have it) or
> the ARM assembler (I don't thin it has it).

This is a very good point. Such macros *only* make sense if you're
actually using the assembler to assemble files, not just validate a
piece of assembler that will be passed, as is, to another assembler,
which might not recognize the syntax that you do.

If the decision is in the compiler, than the compiler either knows
*exactly* what the assembler can or cannot deal with (we don't), or it
just doesn't make sense.

cheers,
--renato