[LLVMdev] IAS and inline assembly

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Fri Feb 21 13:02:51 PST 2014

On 21 February 2014 18:03, Rafael EspĂ­ndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, that would also not be high on my list of preferences (after the
> ignore and warn options). Forcing a user to put a comment is not that
> different from forcing them to make it a valid assembly input by, for
> example, outputting the value they want with .long.

Plus, we'd be creating yet another semantics for people to misuse.

I'm not happy with IAS being ditched because of weird inline asm
because that stops you from using the IAS all the way through, since
it would work on -c but not on -S, which is bad behaviour. Ignoring
textual mischief for textual output is a small price to pay, I think.

But, as I said earlier, any solution would be fine as long as we take
it consciously.

cheers,
--renato