[LLVMdev] [RFC] CodeGenPrepare will eventually introduce dependencies to libLLVMCodeGen in libLLVMScalarOpts

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Feb 19 14:02:18 PST 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> It seems to me that IR optimizations that depend directly on
> TargetLowering belong in CodeGen. Why don't you just move them all there?

Some of them *could* be profitably lifted to use a more abstract interface
like TTI. I'm pretty sure CGP is on the "not worth it" side of this
equation, and it may not be the only thing on that side, but I'm trying to
leave open the idea that there is some inflection point here and we may
have passes on both sides of it that currently are still misusing
TargetLowering and in the IR pass libraries.