[LLVMdev] make DataLayout a mandatory part of Module

Nick Lewycky nlewycky at google.com
Mon Feb 10 17:25:16 PST 2014

On 5 February 2014 09:45, Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> that the optimizer has not chosen to "hide" pointers from us by using
>> ptrtoint and integer math tricks. Currently, we're simply running a
>> verification pass before our rewrite, but I'm very interested long term in
>> constructing ways to ensure a "gc safe" set of optimization passes.
>>

>  As a general rule passes need to support the whole of what the IR can
> support. Trying to operate on a subset of IR seems like a losing battle,
> unless you can show a mapping from one to the other (ie., using code
> duplication to remove all unnatural loops from IR, or collapsing a function
> to having a single exit node).
>
>  What language were you planning to do this for? Does the language permit
> the user to convert pointers to integers and vice versa? If so, what do you
> do if the user program writes a pointer out to a file, reads it back in
> later, and uses it?
>
> Java - which does not permit arbitrary pointer manipulation.  (Well,
> without resorting to mechanism like JNI and sun.misc.Unsafe.  Doing so
> would be explicitly undefined behavior though.)  We also use raw pointer
> manipulations in our implementation (which is eventually inlined), but this
> happens after the safepoint insertion rewrite.
>
> We strictly control the input IR.  As a result, I can insure that the
> initial IR meets our subset requirements.  In practice, all of the opto
> passes appear to preserve these invariants (i.e. not introducing inttoptr),
> but we'd like to justify that a bit more.
>

>  One of the ways I've been thinking about - but haven't actually
>> implemented yet - is to deny the optimization passes information about
>> pointer sizing.
>

>  Right, pointer size (address space size) will become known to all parts
> of the compiler. It's not even going to be just the optimizations,
> ConstantExpr::get is going to grow smarter because of this, as
> lib/Analysis/ConstantFolding.cpp merges into lib/IR/ConstantFold.cpp. That
> is one of the major benefits that's driving this. (All parts of the
> compiler will also know endian-ness, which means we can constant fold
> loads, too.)
>
> I would argue that all of the pieces you mentioned are performing
> optimizations.  :)  However, the exact semantics are unimportant for the
> overall discussion.
>

>  Under the assumption that an opto pass can't insert an ptrtoint cast
>> without knowing a safe integer size to use, this seems like it would outlaw
>> a class of optimizations we'd be broken by.
>>

>  Optimization passes generally prefer converting ptrtoint and inttoptr to
> GEPs whenever possible.
>
> This is good to hear and helps us.
>
>   I expect that we'll end up with *fewer* ptr<->int conversions with this
> change, because we'll know enough about the target to convert them into
> GEPs.
>
> Er, I'm confused by this.  Why would not knowing the size of a pointer
> case a GEP to be converted to a ptr <-> int conversion?

Having target data means we can convert inttoptr/ptrtoint into GEPs,
particularly in constant expression folding.

Or do you mean that after the change conversions in the original input IR
> are more likely to be recognized?
>

>  My understanding is that the only current way to do this would be to not
>> specify a DataLayout.  (And hack a few places with built in assumptions.
>>  Let's ignore that for the moment.)  With your proposed change, would there
>> be a clean way to express something like this?
>>

>  I think your GC placement algorithm needs to handle inttoptr and
> ptrtoint, whichever way this discussion goes. Sorry. I'd be happy to hear
> others chime in -- I know I'm not an expert in this area or about GCs --
> but I don't find this rationale compelling.
>
> The key assumption I didn't initially explain is that the initial IR
> couldn't contain conversions.  With that added, do you still see concerns?
> I'm fairly sure I don't need to handle general ptr <-> int conversions.  If
> I'm wrong, I'd really like to know it.

So we met at the social and talked about this at length. I'll repeat most
of the conversation so that it's on the mailing list, and also I've had
some additional thoughts since then.

You're using the llvm type system to detect when something is a pointer,
and then you rely on knowing what's a pointer to deduce garbage collection
roots. We're supposed to have the llvm.gcroots intrinsic for this purpose,
but you note that it prevents gc roots from being in registers (they must
be in memory somewhere, usually on the stack), and that fixing it is more
work than is reasonable.

Your IR won't do any shifty pointer-int conversion shenanigans, and you
want some assurance that an optimization won't introduce them, or that if
one does then you can call it out as a bug and get it fixed. I think that's
reasonable, but I also think it's something we need to put forth before
llvm-dev.

Note that pointer-to-int conversions aren't necessarily just the
ptrtoint/inttoptr instructions (and constant expressions), there's also
casting between { i64 }* and { i8* }* and such. Are there legitimate
reasons an optz'n would introduce a cast? I think that anywhere in the
mid-optimizer, conflating integers and pointers is only going to be bad for
both the integer optimizations and the pointer optimizations.

It may make sense as part of lowering -- suppose we find two alloca's, one
i64 and one i8* and find that their lifetimes are distinct, and i64 and i8*
are the same size, so we merge them. Because of how this would interfere, I
don't think this belongs anywhere in the mid-optimizer, it would have to
happen late, after lowering. That suggests that there's a point in the pass
pipeline where the IR is "canonical enough" that this will actually work.

Is that reasonable? Can we actually guarantee that, that any pass which
would break this goes after a common gc-root insertion spot? Do we need
(want?) to push back and say "no, sorry, make GC roots better instead"?

Nick