[LLVMdev] [RFC] Removing FCA constants from the IR

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Mon Feb 3 01:24:48 PST 2014

Currently, you're allowed to form a constant of aggregate type using any
number of other constants you like. This makes scanning the instructions of
the IR needlessly complex when looking for references to constants.

There is no need to support this degree of complexity in the IR. We could
require that for anything but 'zeroinitializer' you cannot write a constant
of aggregate (structure or array) type. You have to build it using
insertvalue.

Thoughts? This would simplify several things I'm working on currently, and
it is a super easy auto-upgrade and verifier addition.

-Chandler