[LLVMdev] Removing types from metadata

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Fri Dec 19 13:02:03 PST 2014

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Duncan P. N. Exon Smith <
dexonsmith at apple.com> wrote:

> However, I think this would set a bad precedent.  There's nowhere else
> (that I know of) where we accept two versions of assembly.  The
> LLParser is relatively easy to work with because it doesn't have that
> kind of historical baggage.

I can think of two precedents: attribute syntax and linker_private vs
private. For attributes, we still parse the old syntax with the builtin
non-string attributes after the ')' token, but that may be because it's
just more readable. linker_private is still there because it's trivial to
support.