[LLVMdev] Newbee question: LLVM backend regression tests for thumb1 targets on simulator possible?

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Fri Dec 19 02:38:11 PST 2014

On 19 December 2014 at 10:29, Bjoern Haase <bjoern.m.haase at web.de> wrote:
> In my opinion there is more need for a regression test framework in a
> simulation environment in a first step. Of course an optional, second step
> with tests on real-world HW would not hurt. Actually qemu does not seem to
> be this bad for this purpose.

I get what you mean, and I agree with you. Testing "if it should work"
is one thing, and testing "if it actually works" is another. Plus the
difficulties of testing in real hardware that I know only too well.

Though, trying to create a simulated environment that will be relevant
for the system you care about might be as complicated as real hardware
tests, and it will never give you the guarantee that you're not
missing the point.

I would run Thumb1 tests on any Thumb1 emulator (no need to make it
look like an M0) and reduce the set of tests on a real M0 for the
things that you can actually test, and do it.

cheers,
--renato