[LLVMdev] Metadata/Value split has landed

Keno Fischer kfischer at college.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 18 01:43:42 PST 2014

Hi Duncan,

I'm in the following situation for which this change caused an assertion
failure:

Three modules, let's say A B C
Two function, F in A, G in B

Now I CloneFunction F into B (call the new function F') and inline F' into
G.
Now, for the problematic part, where I try to extract G (and all referenced
values) into C:

upon encountering any debug node in the inlined code, it tries to clone the
DISubprogram for F', so it creates a temporary. Since that refers to F',
it'll now go ahead and copy F'. However, here once again it tries to copy
the DISubprogram, which now just uses the temporary value from above (this
is fine). Unfortunately, right after, it calls resolveCycles on the debug
info annotation, which crashes with

Assertion failed: (!isa<MDNodeFwdDecl>(Op) && "Expected all forward
declarations to be resolved"), function resolveCycles, file
/Users/kfischer/julia/deps/llvm-svn/lib/IR/Metadata.cpp, line 459.

because we still have the temporary DISubprogram in there.

Any ideas what to do about this?