[LLVMdev] De-pessimize ScalarEvolution's handling of nsw/nuw?

Jingyue Wu jingyue at google.com
Tue Dec 16 10:42:03 PST 2014

Thanks all of you for the input! I'm learning a lot about ScalarEvolution.

I understand, even in the NVPTX64 backend which doesn't natively support
i64 but uses 64-bit pointers, indvar widening can still be beneficial.
However, I chose to disable widening all together because it's hard to
evaluate the benefits of indvar widening before really trying it. For
instance, if we widen the indvar and found the widening doesn't improve LSR
(which runs as a backend IR pass), it's too late for us to rollback and the
widened indvar costs at least one extra 32-bit addition when being
incremented. That said, it seems hard to reach a uniformly optimal solution
here, so I'd probably leave the compiler as is and resort to source code
changes.

Jingyue