[LLVMdev] [RFC] Requiring python 2.6

Dan Liew dan at su-root.co.uk
Sat Dec 13 05:39:00 PST 2014

>> Well, I am no Python expert either. I went with 2.7 because it was suggested
>> and 4 years old software sounded old  enough.
>
> python 2.7 will be maintaned until 2020
> (https://hg.python.org/peps/rev/76d43e52d978) so please leave it
> as-is. People should be updating.

I would also encourage making Python 2.7 the minimum. Distributions
that move at glacial speed like RHEL6, CentOS6 and SLES11 can't even
build LLVM out of the box due their out of date versions of gcc (4.4 I
think) so I'm not convinced that arguments about avoiding "unnecessary
hurdles for casual users to start getting involved in LLVM
development" apply for these distributions. Anyone building LLVM on
these platforms can only do so by investing effort into upgrading
their C++ compiler. If they are willing to upgrade their compiler then
I see no reason why they would resist installing a newer version of
Python as well.