[LLVMdev] LTO question

Eric Christopher echristo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 13:06:16 PST 2014

On Fri Dec 12 2014 at 1:00:55 PM Adve, Vikram Sadanand <vadve at illinois.edu>
wrote:

> I've been asked how LTO in LLVM compares to equivalent capabilities in
> GCC.  How do the two compare in terms of scalability?  And robustness for
> large applications?

It depends on which scheme that's being used, but in general full LTO falls
over in scaling past a certain size application due to memory use etc.
(Debug info is also a problem, but see below). Not sure what you mean
between scalability and robustness though. If you've got some more specific
questions I can probably give you a rundown of some of the differences.

> Also, are there any ongoing efforts or plans to improve LTO in LLVM in the
> near future?

Yes. Many ongoing efforts. See the metadata rewrite, the FDO/PGO work, etc.
It's an area of active development and work.

-eric