[LLVMdev] [RFC] Stripping unusable intrinsics

Chris Bieneman cbieneman at apple.com
Thu Dec 11 16:23:13 PST 2014

I’ve got some new patches and some numbers.

The patches are all the changes required to strip intrinsics using the preprocessor defines I showed in my earlier patches. It actually isn’t that much change to LLVM. Clang will need similar changes too. There were only 9 files that referenced target intrinsics outside the corresponding target.

These patches are still WIP, and there is some nastiness, but they work.

Using these patches I see about 500k reduction in binary size when building libLLVM.dylib with just the ARM backend enabled.

> du -k ../*.dylib
34236	../libLLVM-ARM-only-after.dylib
34732	../libLLVM-ARM-only-before.dylib

These savings are substantial for our use case.

-Chris