[LLVMdev] Plans for the Apple supported Darwin buildbot cluster

Jonathan Roelofs jonathan at codesourcery.com
Fri Aug 15 08:59:11 PDT 2014

On 8/14/14, 5:25 AM, Renato Golin wrote:
> On 14 August 2014 11:26, David Chisnall <David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> So you don't want to send it to the standard output.  The things that want to parse it expect a file in the filesystem.  So if you want the verbose build to be sticking it in a well-known file then I don't have strong objections, but it seems to be conflating two things.  We run lit in -q mode in Jenkins, because we don't want big console logs duplicating the information in the XML.
>
> I could be wrong, but I thought that buildbots already stored the
> standard output into a file for parsing, so Jenkins would possibly do
> the same? It seems not.
I've observed that Jenkins chokes horribly on test-suites that print a lot to
standard output (without redirecting to a file). When it's egregiously bad, you
can even crash Jenkins doing it.

It's best for them not to print so much in order to avoid this issue, and make
the logs easier to be human read.

Cheers,
Jon