[LLVMdev] Heads up: Out of tree tablegen users should read this

Pete Cooper peter_cooper at apple.com
Thu Aug 7 09:00:41 PDT 2014

Hi all

In r215084 I changed tablegen so that binary literals such as 0b01 are now bits<n> values and not integers.

What this means for users of tablegen is that this used to work because it was silently zero extended:

bits<3> x = 0b01;

but now you need to use the correct number of bits everywhere, i.e.,

bits<3> x = 0b001;

I’ve updated tablegen to give a useful error message in this case:

error: Value 'x' of type 'bits<3>' is incompatible with initializer '{ 0, 1 }' of type bit initializer with length 2'
  bits<3> x = 0b01;
              ^

Thanks,
Pete