[LLVMdev] Adding a stack probe function attribute

Tue Aug 5 08:53:50 PDT 2014

Would the __probestack functions be a suitable addition to compiler-rt?
Does it already have __chkstk or is that provided by something else on
Windows? I noticed that libgcc implemented them in cygwin.S.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM, Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>
> The "split-stack" attribute can be used for that, and that's what Rust
> currently does.
>
> Interesting.  I did not know this.  Using it for that purpose honestly
> feels like a bit of a hack.  I'd rather factor the stack bounds checking
> and the handling separately.
>
> Looking around, it looks like we also have an Erlang specific
> implementation which does essentially the same thing.  Yuck.
>
> Not saying we need to actually do so, just that I'd prefer that design in
> an ideal world.  :)
>

>> Also, are you expecting the runtime to be able to throw an exception at
>> the site of the check?  If so, there's a bunch of other issues which need
>> handled.
>>

>> Straw man ideas:
>> - Start with an string attribute, work out the semantics and
>> implementation, then propose a "real attribute" once we've settled on a
>> workable implementation.
>>
> I seemed to have read that string attributes were for platform specific
> things, would that be incorrect?
>
> Generally, they're either a) platform specific, and b) prototyping
> something.  t.m.k. there is nothing that says a string attribute can't be
> used long term, but generally, they don't seem to be.
>

>>  - Pick a more generic name.  Possibly "StackOverflowGuard"?
>> - Use two parameters.  First, "minimum guard region size" (non-negative
>> integer number of bytes).  Second, "test mechanism" (enum (FuncCall, Load,
>> Store, ConditionalCheck)).  For the conditional check version, you'd need a
>> way to specify a failure handler.    For the func call version, you need a
>> way to set the routine.
>>

>> Now, I realize this is well beyond what you originally wanted to
>> implement.  If you wanted to make the minimum change you could to support
>> forcing the enable of the existing stack probe mechanism, we can discuss
>> specifically that.  I'd lean away from a general attribute for that
>> purpose, but am open to being convinced otherwise.  :)
>>
> I think this should be limited to only lightweight stack probing, which
> either emits probe instructions or calls a function (provided by
> libgcc/compiler-rt) which does exactly the same.
>
> Given what you said about split-stack, I'm okay with this.  The general
> cleanup is a worthwhile, but separate task.
>
>   One extension I'm open for is to always force a probe which ensures the
> stack overflow happens in a well defined point in the prologue. That could
> be used for languages which can recover from stack overflows.
>
> This would need to be carefully specified.
>

> Going back to your original proposal.  I've come around to accepting the
> idea of adding a stack-probe attribute, but I'll request you improve the
> documentation some.  In particular, mention the split-stack case, and
> mention that the called function is platform specific.  I still think a
> better factored design is possibly, but you didn't create the mess we have,
> so I can't really expect you to fix it.  :)

Is there a place for documentation of string attributes, or should that
just go in the commit messages?