[LLVMdev] Feeding DWARF debug information for an LLVM module

Marco Alesiani marco.diiga at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 08:50:48 PDT 2014

Thanks Eric. Using DIBuilder to manually insert debugging information is what
I had in mind and I believe at the end of the day it will be the only way.

Regarding my setup I'm using a parser which reads code generated by a
front-end comprehensive of all DWARF (v2 IIRC) infos. Unfortunately I
believe the parser I'm using was just designed to set up the IR routines
with a basic debugging support since it doesn't provide (as far as I could
see) any way to "browse" or "explore" the DWARF data, i.e. it just provides
me a number of DWARF sections (debug_abbrev, debug_info, etc..) via byte
streams. I searched through its code but I'm almost sure interpreting that
data will be up to me.

Thus what I had in mind was exactly to write code to parse the debug
information and directly feed them via DIBuilder routines to LLVM. Line
infos are available throughout all my IR representation but in order to at
least enable variable/arrays watches I suppose I'll have to go through DWARF
expressions and such. I will probably not need all the data contained in the
DWARF sections (I'm not looking for a thoroughly debugging description of my
code) but I'll have to do some more tests in order to determine if what I
have in mind can somewhat be accomplished. I'm still pretty new to debugging
formats.