[LLVMdev] [lld] Verifying the Architecture of files read

Shankar Easwaran shankare at codeaurora.org
Tue Apr 1 21:59:28 PDT 2014

On 4/1/2014 11:51 PM, Simon Atanasyan wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 7:47 AM, Shankar Easwaran
> <shankare at codeaurora.org> wrote:
>> I am not sure if you looked at this thread
>> (http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2013-October/066155.html)
>>
>> let me know if you still have questions.
>>
>> As a short summary, we dont verify the architecture of files that are being
>> read. We could very well be passed in a hexagon input file while the target
>> specified was x86_64. we got to reject the input file as the user has chosen
>> the architecture to be x86_64.
> Moreover, inside MIPS architecture there are some incompatible
> "sub-architectures". It would be nice if we can check input files and
> reject incorrect combinations.
For a simple design, I was thinking that the LinkingContext per flavor
could store input file information as its processed by the linker and
choose to reject files or accept them.

The only problem here is that since the input files are parsed in
parallel, how do we want to deal with this scenario ?

Thanks

Shankar Easwaran

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by the Linux Foundation