[LLVMdev] TableGen and computed expressions

Marcello Maggioni marcello at codeplay.com
Sun Sep 29 02:58:36 PDT 2013

 From what I understand you want to be able to define values in TableGen
as "function calls" to a specific evaluator that returns a value
depending on the architecture subtarget you are compiling for.

As far as I know this is not possible, because TableGen is like a table
of values that have to be known at compile time (compile time of the
compiler I mean) so that can they can be stored where they are needed
(like instruction binary encoding, operand types and numbers , implicit
defs ... etc). The solution Elior proposed gives you more flexibility,
but it is still a compile time flexibility.

There are certain specific places where in TableGen is possible to
inject dynamic behavior , like with predicates for instruction selection
patterns or ParseMethods/DecodeMethods (where basically the value stored
is the string containing the method to call when it is needed to
decode/parse a certain operand) ... etc, but these values have very
specialized purposes in llvm tablegen autogenerated code (instruction
selection patterns for ISel, Parse method for tablegen generated
MCParser code, DecodeMethods for MCDisassembler), for any other kind of
values this is not how it works, but the values are stored statically.

Cheers,
Marcello

Il 27/09/2013 13:49, Martin O'Riordan ha scritto:
> Thanks Elior,
>
> Sorry for the delay - emergencies never seem to go away in compiler
> development ;-)
>
> That sounds like an interesting approach, a kind-of pre-processor for TD
> files.  But will this still not result in a constant, although externally
> provided, or have I misunderstood?
>
> What I would like to do is compute a different value depending on which
> '-target-cpu <cpu>' option was selected for 'clang'.  The "[{...}]" syntax
> should work for this, but I haven't been able to convince TableGen to do
> what I want - it maybe a problem with the context I have:
>
> 	let attrList = [Attr<2, id1>, Attr<2, id2>] in { ... }
>
> I want to be able to replace the value '2' with the value returned from a
> function-call.
>
> I managed to get the opcode name issue resolved in a neat way using
> 'multiclass' and 'defm' controlled by a predicate, and this worked pretty
> well requiring a minimum amount of re-writing and giving me a good
> opportunity to cleanup the code, but the list construction outlined above
> doesn't seem to be as straight-forward.
>
> All the best,
>
> 	MartinO

Marcello Maggioni

Compiler Engineer

Codeplay Software Ltd

45 York Place, Edinburgh, EH1 3HP

Tel: 0131 466 0503

Fax: 0131 557 6600

Website:http://www.codeplay.com

Twitter:https://twitter.com/@codeplaybiz

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and /or privileged information and  is for use  by the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Codeplay Software Ltd immediately and delete the message from your computer. You may not copy or forward it,or use or disclose its contents to any other person. Any views or other information in this message which do not relate to our business are not authorized by Codeplay software Ltd, nor does this message form part of any contract unless so stated.

As internet communications are capable of data corruption Codeplay Software Ltd does not accept any responsibility for any changes made to this message after it was sent. Please note that Codeplay Software Ltd does not accept any liability or responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan any attachments.

Company registered in England and Wales, number: 04567874

Registered office: 81 Linkfield Street, Redhill RH1 6BY