[LLVMdev] ARM NEON intrinsics in clang

Stanislav Manilov stanislav.manilov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 09:52:09 PDT 2013

Hello Renato,

It turned out I just didn't do the cross-compilation correctly, and Tim
Northover already pointed me to a guide you have written on it (
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/CrossCompilation.html), so I will read that
before continuing with my efforts.

To answer your question I am testing on a pandaboard currently, which has
an arm cortex-a9 processor, which I think is 64-bit.

I am much happy to compile the latest code and am successfully doing so. I
tried to compile release 2.9, as I (wrongly) believed that I need llvm-gcc
in order to compile NEON code on LLVM.

Tim's minimalist example worked on my clang3.4:

$ cat > neon.c
#include <arm_neon.h>

float32x4_t my_func(float32x4_t lhs, float32x4_t rhs) {
  return vaddq_f32(lhs, rhs);
}
$ clang --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf -mcpu=cortex-a15 -ffreestanding
-O3 -S -o - neon.c

however it doesn't if I remove the -ffreestanding flag. I need to figure
this out next.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
 - Stan