[LLVMdev] VMKit state of the union, android support, and .net/CLI

Jeremy Bell bell.jeremy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 08:00:02 PDT 2013

Thanks for responding! It's good to know there weren't any particular
technical barriers that would prevent a working N3 implementation.

I have some followup questions:
Did N3 support reflection and/or generics? How, if at all, did N3 support
structs? What about ref and out parameters? Have you considered using
Mono.Cecil for parsing out the .net assemblies, metadata, and bytecode?

Also, Mono has support for LLVM already, though the generated LLVM code
links with the mono runtime. It might be possible to adapt this LLVM
compiler backend to link with VMKit instead of mono, or else provide an
adapter library that follows the interface of the mono VM, but forwards
calls into VMKit, so the generated code isn't bound by the LGPL of the mono
runtime. There are several known issues, as described here (e.g. varargs
doesn't work):

http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:Runtime:Documentation:LLVM

Either way, this might provide a head-start in terms of implementing the
full range of CIL opcodes.