[LLVMdev] Multiple module support in MCJIT

Kaylor, Andrew andrew.kaylor at intel.com
Wed Sep 18 11:04:27 PDT 2013

It may be easy enough to support cross dependencies if MCJIT knows about both modules before either of them is required.  The reason that I said I wasn't going to do it now is that if there are any complications that will likely be something I would postpone in the interest of time.

Let's say Module A contains a function AF and needs an external symbol BF, and Module B contains a function BF and needs an external dependency AF.  When MCJIT is emitting code for Module A, it will try to resolve the external BF symbol during the "finalize" phase.  It's easy enough to determine that we need to emit code for Module B in order to resolve this symbol.  However, we'll need to actually load Module B to get the address and while loading Module B we'll encounter the external AF symbol which is in a Module that we've started to load but haven't finished.

This is further complicated by the fact that to support the remote case we may need to support sections being moved after they are loaded, which is potentially a problem for all of the module-to-module linking.  I'm not sure yet how that will need to be resolved.

So anyway, I'm just hedging my bets on mutual dependency resolution.  I'll keep it in mind with my initial implementation, but I may punt it until later.

-Andy