[LLVMdev] Removing legacy profiling code from LLVM

msharp at codeaurora.org msharp at codeaurora.org
Fri Sep 13 11:05:23 PDT 2013

Chandler Carruth wrote:

>Alright, I'm ready to nuke it. Last chance to say stop.

Stop.

>For context of others, this has come up repeatedly: no one we know of is
>using EdgeProfiling.cpp, PathProfiling.cpp, and the
>lib/Analysis/Profile*Pass.cpp collection of tools.
We've been actively using it since at least 2.8.  True, we haven't been
vocal about it.

While I can see perhaps getting rid of some of the older ProfileInfoT
related stuff, certainly the instrumentation portion and the metadata
loader (ProfileDataLoaderPass) portion are of use to us.

Isn't Bob Wilson also using, or at least interested in, some of the
metadata based profiling too?

While we're talking about it, there are associated portions under
runtime/libprofile that we're using too.

>...I would like to garbage collect and help pave the way for new stuff.
Have I missed a proposal somewhere?  I'd be interested to hear about what
you've got in mind.

  --Mike